Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bees on Order

I sent in my "reservation" for bees today!  I reserved them from Dadant & Co in Watertown and requested a mid-April delivery.  I should be getting a 3 pound box of bees.  I have to go there to pick them up, which begs the question: "What do you do with a box of bees while you're driving?!"  I think I'll have to bring Erin along so she can hold them on her lap!  She'll be really excited about that!

It was a $10 deposit on a $76 package.  I have to put down $4 as a deposit on the box.  I'm not sure its worth $4 to drive it back to Watertown, so lets just say it costs $80 for a three pound box of bees.

I also got the glass repaired in my hive today.  I took it to Verona Plumbing and Glass and they fixed it up nicely.  I didnt tell them what it was, so they had a good time guessing what it was for.  Nobody guessed it was a beehive!  It was nice to talk with them in the shop.  I worked there about 18 years ago.  Those guys taught me how to work hard!

My next step is to paint the roof of the hive.  I bought some white primer, and then I was thinking I might let the girls paint some more on top of the white.  I definitely want to get them involved!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I always forget that you can do plumbing??!!! Right???!!!!
I can't wait to see the final project.