Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bees. In. Hive. - The Visual Edition

Wow, reading yesterday's blog is a wall of text! Here's the pictorial version!

This is what a "package" of bees looks like:
The bees

Here is Hyacinth the bee.  She stayed pretty much right there the whole drive home:
The bees

Here are the two beekeepers, trying to look confident before putting them in the hive:
The bees

Here is the smoker Jerry gave me.  Works Great!
The bees

Here is the empty hive.  The opening is where I dump the bees in.  The glass jar on the inside is the feeder, full of sugar syrup:
The bees

Here's me trying to get the queen cage out.  I have a few seconds to lift the can, slide the queen cage out and then put the can back down.  The picture below is actually a video.  See how fast I did that!?  
The bees
Ok, it is just a picture, I couldnt do it that fast.  A few bees got out.

Here is "Magnolia", the queen, in her queen cage.  This is before I replaced the cork with a marshmallow.
The bees

Here is me smoking the bees to keep them a little calmer.  The next part is kind of harrowing, so I want them as calm as possible!
The bees

Here is me dumping bees into the hive.  They pour out like water!  How many bees do you see flying in the picture?
The bees

Here is "most" of them in the hive.  I have an observation window to peek in on them.
The bees

Here is my outstanding assistant!  One of the bravest 6 year olds you will meet!

What a day!  You can click on most of the pictures to see all the pictures Stephanie took!  I really appreciate her taking pictures.  They are awesome!

1 comment:

jt bear said...

Love the pictures and narration! And so glad we found a use for that old smoker instead of just leaving sit around so people would ask, what the heck is that?? Can't wait to taste some Verona wildflower honey too. Keep up the good keepering!