Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hungry Bugs

The bees are really hungry!  Tonight, I refilled the sugar syrup jar in the hive for the third time.  I've gone through over a pound of sugar so far!  I never thought I would pay this close attention to the weather and when things are blooming.  Apparently, the cool, wet weather keeps the bees from foraging as much.  Everything that I've read says that when the bees can find natural nectar, they prefer it to the syrup.  When that happens, I shouldnt have to feed them for a while.  Well, it isnt today.  Nothing I can do but keep feeding and watching.

It is pretty neat to watch them build honeycomb.  I'm pretty impressed at how much they have built.  Here's the view from the observation window tonight:

Its tough to get a good picture with the glare on the glass.  Anyway, hopefully you can see the rows of honeycomb in the picture, going up and down, perpendicular to the glass.  Just like its supposed to.  The space between the comb looks to be full of bees.  The cluster seems to be getting much bigger, but it might just be comb taking up space and making the same number look bigger.  I now know where the phrase "Busy  as a Bee" comes from!

No comments: