Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bee Inspection

I got all beekeepered up this morning and took a look inside the hive.  The bees are still incredibly calm.  They were not really all that interested in me poking around.  They generally stayed crawling around on the comb while I pulled them out and looked around.  A few flew around me, but not bad.  I never really felt nervous or "swarmed"!  Anyway, right now there is not much honey in the hive.  Most of the bars look like they have capped brood (eggs / larvae) or pollen.  Capped honey looks whiter, and more papery.  This picture shows a close up of the comb. 

On the top, you can see a band of capped honey.  Then in the middle, you can see capped cells of brood.  That means the queen is still alive, and laying eggs!  I split the brood up a little bit so the bees think they have more room.  This is to prevent swarms.  I didnt see any queen cells though, so I dont think swarming is a danger soon.  

Here's some more pictures from the inspection!





1 comment:

grandpa said...

Wow this sure is an adventure. I would have thought there would have been more honey and more bees on you. I don't mind looking but I think I will still stay a bit away. The two bees at the end look quite nice.